Friday, January 27, 2012

The Altitude Crazies

In June 2011, I travelled to Ecuador for a humanitarian trip with Me to We. Before the trip, I was told that the altitude may affect me as I would not be used to the amount of oxygen in the air. On earth, we all live under an ocean of air. At sea level, the weight of the air compresses oxygen down, therefore at sea level there is more oxygen. 21% of air is oxygen, at all altitudes, but as the altitude increases, the density of air decreases, therefore there is less of "everything". Less nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide, even though the percentage of each of these gases remain the same.
I experienced the change of altitude first-hand as I travelled the Andes with 20 other youth from Canada and United-States. Here, at home, in the Gaspesie, I am always active, biking or running, so I thought I would be fine in Ecuador, even with the altitude change. However, when I got there, I realized I was completely wrong. At our first stop in Ecuador, in the capital, Quito, my first encounter with the change in altitude was walking up the steps in our hostel. I was out of breath by the third step. I was so shocked. Quito is 2800m high in altitude. And we were only going higher.










When we went to the rural communities of Ecuador, 4000m and higher, a couple of people got sick, they were too weak, and too tired to function, for a couple days. The lack of oxygen affected many people during this trip but after a few days of rest, they were fine. However, in the community that we were building the school, every night the locals would invite to play soccer. It was the death of everyone. Running after the ball in 4000 m of altitude is the hardest thing ever. At some points after sprinting after the ball, I thought I was going have a heart attack. My lungs were so desperate for oxygen, it was actually painful. 





3 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm actually going to Rwanda with world vision on a humanitarian trip as well and I'd love to know more about what you thought about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I've always dreamed of going to Africa. I'd love to see your pictures when you get back, :P You'll love it. My trip to Ecuador changed me in many ways that I did not expect. Like I became more confident and more true to myself. The group of people I travelled with were the most amazing people and I made some great friends that I will always remember. And the locals you will get to meet are some of the most fascinating people. They have nothing but are some of the happiest people you'll ever meet. Have an awesome trip. How long are you going for?

      Delete
    2. The trip is about 3 weeks, and I will deffinetly post picture when I get back. Thats kind of what my mandate will be when I get back, to spread the knowledge of what I saw and learnt... I'm Exited

      Delete